Table of Contents
DMX512 controlled LED light fixture project
This light will be used at the Oakland Scottish Rite auditorium. Currently the auditorium is illuminated by the column lights using HPL575 halogen light bulb that are 575W each. Each light produces 575W * 24lm/W1) = 13800lm each. There are 24 column lights producing total of 331200 lm. This is a minimum lighting which is not adequate for the auditorium size.
The power consumption of the lights is 575W * 24 = 13.8KW.
There are also the original lights mounted in a circle around the perimeter of the dome. There is x number of white 100W light bulbs, g number of green light bulbs and r number of red light bulbs. The number and light output is to be determined.
The goal is to replace the existing light bulbs and fixtures around the perimeter of the auditorium with LED light fixtures. The replacement should pay for itself in 5 years by saving electricity. The 5 year goal is to be able to finance the upgrade by 0% financing available from PG&E available for such projects.
- The light output should produce xx lumens at the floor of the auditorium
- Total power consumption should be « 50% of the current power consumption
- The light should produce white spectrum with CRI better than 75
- The light output should be controllable on granular level with individual control for red, green, blue and white
- The ratio of output light intensity between white and RGB is to be determined
- The control will be done by DMX, use DMX over Ethernet for the uplink from control station to the ceiling level
- Input power is 110V
- Design for reliability
Q: Should design for the new RDM protocol instead?
- good performance/price → high ratio of lm/$
|LED PN||Datasheet||Max op current||Nominal lm2)||Price@qty 100||100W eq3)||price/100W eq|
|CREE XP-C 3x LED||Data||350||40+65+27(132)||2.53+3.88+2.27(8.68)||12||105|
|LED PN||Data||Max op current||Nominal lm||Max lm||lm/W||Price@volQty||100W eq5)||price/100W eq||Note|
|MLBAWT-A1-0000-000WE7||Data||175||18@80||25lm@120mA,3.5V||59||0.55||64||35||Used in Demo unit|
|XPEWHT-L1-0000-00BE7||Data||1000||94@350||225lm@email@example.comV||64||2.13||7||15.14||Used by Esika|
|XBDAWT-00-0000-00000LBE7||Data||500||87@350||135 lm@firstname.lastname@example.orgV||90||0.9||11.9||10.6||New from Cree|
The system will require reliable power supply source. Requrements:
- UL certified power supply
- Well known brand
- Sufficient power output ~400-500W
- Output voltage 48 -80V
- Fanless for relable operation
- TDK 480W 48V PS 200$ each, rail mountable
Medium 200-300W power supply option 1x PS for two lights
- HRPG-300-36 300W, 36V with PFC and active surge current limiting
Small power supply option for each light
- HLP-80H-30 POWER SUPPLY,SWITCHING,OPEN FRAME,80 WATT,30VDC@2.7A,90-305Vin,UL/CUL/TUV/CE/PFC $43 each
- 1ch LED driver ZXLD135648V,0.55A max, 4x$1.40 = 5.60, ZXLD1366 is 1A version
Thermally clad PCB
Metal core PCB and standard FR-4 are commonly used circuit board materials in conjunction with Power LEDs. Bergquist’s Thermal Clad dielectric is a thin, thermally conductive layer bonded to an aluminum or copper substrate for heat dissipation. The key to Thermal Clad’s superior performance lies in its dielectric layer.This layer offers electrical isolation with high thermal conductivity and bonds the base metal and circuit foil together. Other manufacturers use standard prepreg as the dielectric layer, but prepreg doesn’t provide the high thermal conductivity and resulting thermal performance required to help assure the lowest possible operating temperatures and brightest light output for high-intensity LEDs.Thermal Clad circuit board materials are available from The Bergquist Company in four different thermal conductivities, High Power Lighting (HPL), High Temperature (HT), Low Modulus (LM) and Multi-Purpose (MP).
5-1-2011 Started Research
Links and other info
Light sources efficiency and efficacy
1 cd = 13 lm
|Type||Overall luminous efficiency||Overall luminous efficacy (lm/W)||Output lm||Output cd|
|40 W tungsten incandescent||1.9%||12.6|
|60 W tungsten incandescent||2.1%||14.5||800||64|
|100 W tungsten incandescent||2.6%||17.5||1600||127|
|ideal black-body radiator at 4000K (or a class K star like Arcturus)||7.0%||47.5|
|ideal black-body radiator at 7000 K (or a class F star like Procyon)||14%||95|
|ideal monochromatic 555 nm (green) source||100%||683|
DMX 512 specifications
- DMX uses 256Kbit communication over RS485 bus. No error checking, no reliable delivery.
- Addressing is manual, by switches or in software, no auto addressing.
- DMX512 packe takes 1204 usec to 1 s.
- Maximum is 32 devices per bus + master. There can be a splitter that will allow multiple chains of 32 devices connected to the master.
- Max lenght is 1200m.
- Nominal imepdance 120 Ohm, bus should be properly terminated.
XLR 5 pin connector
- Signal common
- Data 1- (Primary)
- Data 1+ (Primary)
- Data 2- (Optional)
- Data 2+ (Optional)